GROUND PORK AND APPLE SLIDERS
prep time: 15 minutes cook time: 20 minutes serve: 5
2 pounds ground pork
1/2 cup minced white onion
1 1/2 cups finely diced apple
1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1. Mix the ground pork with the minced onions, diced apples, and spices. If you prefer milder slider, first sauté the minced onions in a little coconut oil.
2. Evenly separate the meat mixture into 8-10 portions and form those into patties.
3. Cook on a grill or in a large skillet over medium heat for 7-10 minutes per side or until the patties are done all the way through and no longer pink in the middle.
PEAR AND GROUND PORK-STUFFED WINTER SQUASH
prep time: 40 minutes cook time: 1 1/2 hours serves: 3-4
3 acorn squash, cut in half and seeds removed
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 pound ground pork
2 carrots, diced
2 tablespoons minced Italian parsley
2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Bosc pears, pealed, cored, and diced
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Dot the inside of each acorn squash with coconut oil and sprinkle each with a little sea salt and nutmeg.
3. Place the acorn squash cut side up in a large glass baking dish and add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the dish; cover tightly with aluminum foil.
4. Cook the squash in the oven for 45 minutes or until fork-tender.
5. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, sauté the onions in the coconut oil until they start to turn brown.
6. Add the ground pork, carrots, and a little sea salt and pepper (about 1/2 teaspoon each) and cook until pork is no longer pink.
7. Add the parsley, sage and thyme and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
8. Add the garlic, pears, and almonds and stir just until warm.
9. Taste the stuffing and add more salt of seasoning if desired.
10. Stuff each acorn squash with a big spoonful of the pork mixture, return to the hot oven, and bake for an additional 10 minutes